Wednesday, September 9, 2009

At the crossroads with my portraits

This past year has been difficult for me in the portrait quilt department. I love to quilt. I really do, but the projects I have had on my plate in the last year have become larger and harder to manage. The tops have been taking me so long to assemble that the quilting becomes almost an afterthought and that does not make my inner quilt goddess happy. I love the portraits I have done in the past but I am feeling the need to evolve and create newer techniques and focus more on just the quilting. I don't think this is the end of the line for the portraits but I am definitely taking a break. Whole cloth quilts or simple quilt tops that showcase my quilting are more of where I want to be and I am needing to get back to those roots. I'm clearing my mind, clearing my space and getting busy.

2 comments:

Kyra said...

Cheryl, I can relate with having to stop a certain style of quilting to explore other things. One day I'll get back to quilting in ernest - at the moment, love historical research.

cherylsterling said...

Hey Kyra. I'm sure I'll get back to it one day. I just need to express myself in other ways right now. Once I give myself a chance to miss it I'm sure I'll come back to it with a fresh mind. Keep up with your research!

C-