Friday, January 4, 2008

Stitchy background

I am a seamstress first and foremost. Making clothes is my first love. When I was sixteen I made my first quilt and it was interesting to say the least but I was hooked. Two and a half years ago I bought my longarm sewing machine and I took to it like a duck to water. It felt like going from doing things the hard way to doing things the super secret easy way. I think it helped that I like to draw and doodle because that is all that quilting is. Today I am an APQS dealer and know a whole lot about quilting that I didn't know before.
I love making quilted portraiture. I made my first portrait quilt of 50's pinup Bettie Page while my husband was out of town on business and I was bored and wanted to create something different and I have been making them ever since. A friend of mine once called me a frustrated painter and I would probably agree except I work in fiber and thread. I make wedding quilts, signature quilts, t-shirt quilts, baby quilts, and corsets. I am a real Jane of all trades when it comes to fiber. I dye all my own fabric for my portrait quilts and my big project right now is to write a book detailing the techniques I use. I hope to have it finished before the weather breaks. Busy, busy!

No comments: